OY!HOMEABOUTCONTACTPORTFOLIOBLOGSILOVEADVERTISE

January 14, 2013

Spotted: Cabin Decor

Cabin Chic.
Winter is the perfect time to shack up in cabin in the woods. I recently spent a week in Blue Ridge, Georgia and I was really taken with the quirky decor I found in the cabin. It set the tone for a cozy week of inside activities with the family, and I wanted to share a few of the decor takeaways.



1. Do You See What I See.
There was a common theme in the cabin: owls. In every room of the house, there were little owl eyes peeking out, watching. Okay, that sounds a bit creepy, but since I LOVE Owls (shout out to my Alma Mater, KSU!) I found their presence really fun. It was like a tiny little surprise in each corner. Here are just a few of the cuties I found around the house. It was like a scavenger hunt, trying to capture them all on camera.

2. Getting Rich: Color.
The colors in the home were dark and rich, mixing warm and cool elements. Golden cedar walls, warm plummy paint and robust brass accessories lent to the impressive, old-world feeling of the big airy home. The art hanging on the walls displayed sharp scenery in thickly-painted, slightly careless brushstrokes.
Delightfully dark. Kind of made me have a hankering for a snifter of brandy.

3. Pattern & Texture.
The detailing of the house was impeccable. The upholstery was deeply textured and antiquated. The furniture displayed carefully hand-painted fleur de lis. I wanted to photograph everything, from the books to pictures to the bowls we ate out of. It was all just so beautiful and unique, but different than my style. It wasn't feminine and anthropologie-esque, but it was more earthy and hearty. Strong stone, weathered cedar. Lived-in furniture. Yes, that chair has been sat in. A lot.


Recipe for Cozy.
Staying in this home in the woods for a week was like being transformed to another world. A world of books, fireside chats and coffee time. The cozy details only lent to the wonderfully warm charm of spending a week with family. All of these elements got my brain ticking about how to produce such a cozy and inspired effect in my own home. If you're not an interior designer, these few elements will create the desired, winter wonderland setting. Choosing a strong theme (in this case, owls) along with dark colors, warm textures, wooden and stone accents and aged furniture is just the ticket. Just remember to include blankets; it can produce a chilly effect!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment