OY!HOMEABOUTCONTACTPORTFOLIOBLOGSILOVEADVERTISE

February 16, 2013

TASTE: Bacon-Nutmeg Quiche


Yum yum yum.
Happy Saturday! I hope you're enjoying this lovely weekend. Brunch is a weekend staple, so I thought I would share one of my favorite recipes. No matter what season, quiche is always an appropriate go-to. I got this particular recipe from my dazzling mother. Once you get the hang of quiche, you can pretty much whip anything together with eggs and a pie crust and it will turn out hot and delicious. Mmm I love brunch. Especially when my mom makes it. I sit at her kitchen bar and drink coffee and she scolds me for putting my feet up on the counter. It's a marvelous tradition.


Ingredients:
- A 9-inch unbaked pie crust
- 1 tsp. unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 6 slices lean bacon, cooked, crumbled
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt, to taste
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg


Directions:
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a 6-inch non-stick skillet melt the butter (or olive oil) over moderately high heat. Add onion* and saute for 5 minutes or until soft, then transfer to a medium bowl.
3. Toss onion with cheese, bacon and flour. Spread this mixture in pie crust.
4. In the medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and nutmeg.
5. Pour mixture over the cheese, bacon and flour in the pie crust.
6. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes or until center is set.

*Sometimes I add mushrooms and green pepper. The more veggies, the more fun!


Bon Appetit! My husband tends to scarf this down within a day. Hopefully you will be equally as endeared to the tastiness of it. Let me know how yours turns out! Happy brunching!

1 comment:

  1. Yum!! I'm coming over for brunch tomorrow. Love you.

    ReplyDelete