I couldn't help but cry out in shock. Yes, it's been on the forecast for days, but I've been willing it away! More snow? MORE??? I mean, we still have icy patches of dirty snow from Nemo. There are thousands of cigarettes burned into each of these disgusting snowy depositories. Selfishly, I wanted to run errands today. I wanted to RUN today. This weather, while it looks positively lovely outside my window, is really cramping my style. I can't drive in the snow! I can't do anything in this weather. I want to see little pink buds on the trees, I want the sun to warm my soul and tan my sallow face. I want to wear sandals on my pedicured feet and sing pop songs at the top of my lungs whilst skipping down the cobble-stoned streets. But it is 30 degrees and STILL snowing. Hmm have I complained enough? I am doing everything I can to beckon Spring: I'm thinking happy thoughts, dressing in neon colors, and making summery foods. Like this homemade salsa (best if served with margaritas).
Take a moment to gather all these Fresh Ingredients:
- Tomatoes (3-4)
- 1 Onion
- 1 Lime
- 1 Hot Pepper
- 1 Bunch of Cilantro
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Some Garlic (if you really want to add a kick - this is optional!)
- Quarter the onion and tomatoes and throw them in the food processor. Blend just a bit.
- Then add the cilantro and 1/4 of the pepper (depending on how spicy you like it!), and blend those as well.
- Lastly, cut up the lime and squeeze all the juice into the mixture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Voila!
I put my salsa in re-seal-able jars so we can eat it at our leisure. There is no need to ever buy store-packaged salsa again! Now if you really want to get crazy... here is a lunch I've been making with the salsa lately. It has tons of veggies so it feels fresh and healthy. I love feeling like I'm getting lots of veggies in early in the day :-)
- 1/2 Avocado, sliced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3-4 Baby Bella Mushrooms, chopped
- Some shredded Mozzarella
- A handful of Baby Spinach
- 1 Tortilla
- The yummy salsa you just made!
Method: Combine all and enjoy! It's even more fun if you have a pretty plate to munch upon. See, you're ready for Spring already.
Happy healthy lunch day!